NP/PA CLINICAL HEPATOLOGY FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
NOMINATION PER SCHOOL: One (Proposals may not be submitted directly by the PI; nominations are submitted by the School’s Research Dean’s Office.)
INTERNAL DEADLINE: October 14, 2013
EXTERNAL DEADLINE: February 5, 2014
AWARD INFORMATION: Anticipated Amount: An award of $78,000 will be provided for one year. Money is for salary ($65,000) and benefit support (up to $13,000) for the recipient. Fellowships are granted to the individual applicant not the applicant’s institution; however funds will be paid directly to the recipient’s institution.
MATERIALS TO OFFICE OF RESEARCH: Single Page Proposal Summary (0.5” margins; single-spaced; font type: Arial, Helvetica, or Georgia typeface; font size: 11 pt). CV– ( 4 page max.)
PURPOSE: The NP/PA Clinical Hepatology Fellowship program provides salary and benefit support for certified and licensed Nurse Practitioners (NP) or Physician Assistants (PA) pursuing a full-year of training focused on clinical care in hepatology and is designed to:
- Increase the number of associate practitioners in clinical hepatology.
- Facilitate the transition (or shift in emphasis) into clinical hepatology for associate practitioners.
- Increase access for liver disease patients to adequately trained clinicians.
ELIGIBILITY: In order to be eligible for this fellowship, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- The applicant must be a fully certified and licensed nurse practitioner, physician assistant,
clinical nurse specialist or advanced practice nurse on or before July 1, 2014. (no contingencies or exceptions)
- The applicant must have no more than 18 months of experience as a midlevel provider in
hepatology and/or transplant hepatology (adult and/or pediatric) as of July 1, 2014.
- The applicant must be an AASLD member in good standing by the fellowship start date, and
maintain active membership for the duration of the fellowship period.
- The applicant must be mentored during the fellowship period by an AASLD member Clinical
Hepatologist who dedicates at least 50% of his/her time to the care of patients with liver
- Only one application per institution will be accepted for consideration.
- The applicant’s training must occur in an environment conducive to training in hepatology and that
ensures the competencies of the AASLD NP/PA Clinical Hepatology Fellowship Curriculum will be
obtained. The program must include:
- A minimum of three clinical conferences per week. (May include grand rounds or multidisciplinary conferences.)
- Participation in a liver biopsy conference. Training may include performance and management of liver biopsy if the trainee’s licensing body, state, and institution permit this practice scope.
- The majority of the applicant’s time (>80%) will be focused on clinical care in hepatology.
- Exposure to hepatology clinical research is favored however the applicant shall not assume the
role of the dedicated research coordinator to ensure sound fundamental training in all areas
of liver disease management.
- The applicant must be a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S., Mexico or Canada.
- The applicant will not hold other, similar awards during the fellowship period.