New Research Integrity and Ethics Appointments
The Office of Research is committed to advancing a culture of ethical research at USC, including:
- Protecting the welfare of research subjects
- Assuring academic freedom to publish along with permitting foreign student participation in research.
- Promoting academic honesty, transparency and integrity in the conduct of research
- Preventing financial interests from interfering with research objectivity and interfering with institutional commitments, as well as assuring open disclosure of financial interests.
We achieve these goals through education, guidance, policy and oversight, with the support of faculty led committees, such as the IRB, IACUC, SCRO and the Conflict of Interest in Research Committee (CIRC).
As I reported earlier, I have made three recent appointments in support of human subjects:
- Michaael Bowdish, MD (Keck), chair of the health science Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- David Bateshansky, Pharm.D. vice chair of the health science IRB
- Julie Slayton, PhD/JD (Rossier), director for the Office for the Protection of Research Subjects
I am pleased to announce the following new appointments:
Effective July 1, Dr. Jeremy Goldbach will become the IRB Director for social and behavioral research. Though Dr. Goldbach will focus on research taking place on the University Park Campus, his IRB will have broader scope encompassing social/behavioral research on both campuses.
Effective May 20, Dr. Kristen Grace (PhD/MD) will become USC’s Research Integrity Officer. In this new position, Dr. Grace will lead USC’s efforts to elevate responsible conduct of research and scientific integrity. Dr. Grace’s experience includes research ethics leadership positions at Cornell, University of Pennsylvania and the Office for Research Integrity.
Complete Team for Research Integrity and Ethics
USC is fortunate to have exceptional leadership for all of our research ethics committees. As of July 1, the complete team of committee chairs and vice chairs will be as follows.
- Michael Bowdish, MD (Keck School) – health sciences IRB chair
- Jeremy Goldbach, PhD (Social Work) – social and behavioral IRB chair
- Linda Sher, MD. (Keck School) – health sciences IRB vice chair
- Deidre Anglin, MD (Keck School) – health sciences IRB vice chair
- Kristin Craun, MPH, CIP — Senior Director for the Institutional Review Boards
- Julie Slayton, JD/PhD (Rossier) – Director of the Office for the Protection Research Subjects
Animal Research Subjects
- Brett Lund, MD (Keck School) – Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) chair
- Donald Casebolt, DVM – Director of Animal Resources
Conflicts of Interest
- Frances Richmond, PhD (Pharmacy) – Health Science Conflict of Interest in Research Committee chair
- Kristen Grace, MD/PhD – Research Integrity Officer
Stem Cell Research Oversight Committee
- Qilong Ying, PhD (Keck School) – SCRO chair
As VP of Research, in addition to oversight for these programs, I will continue as chair of the Research Safety Oversight Committee and the UPC Conflict of Interest in Research Committee, and will facilitate the deliberations of the International Research Committee.
Randolph W. Hall, Ph.D.
Vice President, Research
Professor, Epstein Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
University of Southern California