Services of the Office of Research
The USC Office of Research supports the University of Southern California’s strategic plan by building interdisciplinary research collaborations that address societal needs and by increasing the impact and prominence of USC research. The office supports and facilitates research initiatives, promotes our research among sponsors, and provides services that ensure that USC achieves the highest ethical standards in its research.
The Office of Research is the university point of contact for:
- Submission of research proposals
- Identifying sources of research funding, both inside and outside the university
- Participation in, and initiation of, major inter-disciplinary university research programs and formation of research units
- Training for pursuing major research and research funding opportunities
- Clearance for institutionally limited research competitions
- Financial disclosures and conflict of interest statements
- Research ethics and handling research misconduct
The Office of Research consists of the following organizations:
Office of Research Initiatives and Facilities
Department of Animal Resources
Department of Contracts and Grants
Institute for Creative Technologies
Office for the Protection of Research Subjects
Office of Research Integrity
Research Technology Services
USC Stevens Center for Innovation
Washington, DC Research Advancement Office
The Office of Research Initiatives and Facilities (ORIF) provides support services to USC investigators through a number of activities and programs, including:
- Administers internal funding programs ($5M+ per year in grant funding)
- Facilitates faculty mentoring through the Center for Excellence in Research, which aims to increase the impact and prominence of scholarly research throughout the university. CER offers workshops and training, as well as a peer-to-peer proposal review service for applications to external funding agencies.
- Oversees nominations for Limited Submission funding opportunities to external sponsors
- Facilitates management of Core Facilities through Priority Software FBS, supporting reservation, tracking, billing and payment for services and goods supplied by core labs and other research recharge centers.
The Department of Animal Resources (DAR) provides and ensures appropriate care in all aspects of USC animal research.
The Department of Contracts and Grants (DCG) supports USC’s investigators from proposal development to award closeout, ensuring that our grants and contracts are consistent with university standards for academic freedom, research ethics, and fiscal responsibility. DCG performs these services:
- Reviews, approves and submits proposals to extramural sponsors
- Negotiates and accepts awards on behalf of the University
- Executes subcontracts
- Coordinates pre-award and post-award actions
- Develops and maintains positive sponsor relationships
- Ensures institutional compliance with Federal and State regulations, sponsor policy and University policy
- Determines how agreements for research services will be processed
The Institute for Creative Technologies (ICT) is a University Affiliated Research Center (UARC) that merges the creativity of the Los Angeles entertainment industry with computing to develop and deploy virtual reality training systems.
USC’s Office for the Protection of Research Subjects (OPRS) develops program-wide policies for the conduct and review of human subjects research at USC, provides education and training, and oversees the Institutional Review Boards (IRB), which review projects involving human subjects research.
The mission of the Office of Research Integrity (ORI) is to foster a culture of integrity within the entire USC research community. The office works at university, school, and department levels to educate faculty, staff, trainees and students about responsible conduct in research and laboratory practices. ORI performs these services:
- Offers consultation services regarding many aspects of laboratory management and research practices
- Is available for best practice educational seminars, lectures and workshops tailored to discipline, school, department or laboratory
- Receives and investigates allegations of research misconduct
- Responds to all questions regarding research integrity
Research Technology Services (RTS) maintains and supports the following systems: diSClose and iStar. diSClose is used for managing conflicts of interest (Conflict of Interest in Research Committee). iStar is used by research involving human subjects (Institutional Review Board), involving animals (Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee), involving biohazardous substances (Institutional Biosafety Committee) and involving radioactive substances or emitting devices (Radiation Safety Committee).
USC Stevens is USC’s technology transfer office and also leads corporate research collaborations.
The USC DC Office of Research Advancement works with faculty and teams on developing large-scale and interdisciplinary research proposals and informing research’s about federally-funded research programs.
In addition to the above services, the Office of Research also works closely with the following units in research-related contexts: