Office of Research Services
The Office of Research is implementing the University of Southern California’s strategic plan by building interdisciplinary research collaborations that address societal needs and by increasing the impact and prominence of our research. The office invests in research initiatives, promotes our research among sponsors, and provides services that ensure that USC achieves the highest ethical standards in its research.
The office is the university point of contact for these issues:
- Submission of research proposals.
- Identifying sources of research funding, both inside and outside the university.
- Participation in, and initiation of, major inter-disciplinary university research programs and formation of research units.
- Education to prepare investigators for funding strategies and proposal preparation.
- Clearance for research competitions that limit the number of proposals submitted by the University.
- Financial disclosures or conflict of interest statements.
- Complaints pertaining to research misconduct.
These units fall under the Office of Research:
Center for Excellence in Research
The Center for Excellence in Research within the Office of Research is USC’s faculty research mentoring program aimed to increase the impact and prominence of scholarly research throughout the university. The Center for Excellence in Research offers workshops and training, as well as a peer-to-peer proposal review service for applications to external funding agencies. Investigators should notify us at least four weeks in advance of the proposal due date, indicating the nature of the proposal and providing a link to the program announcement. We will then match the investigator with a reviewer.
Core Facilities and Laboratories
USC’s core facilities and laboratories support USC’s Plan for Science and Technology by providing outstanding facilities that enable faculty and students to perform cutting-edge research, attracting new transformative faculty to the university in critical areas such as high performance computing, genomics, biomedical imaging, translational medicine, nanoscience, and digital media, among others.
A short overview of Core Facilities.
Department of Animal Resources
Provision and assurance of appropriate care in all aspects of animal research.
A short overview of Animal Research.
Department of Contracts and Grants
The Department of Contracts and Grants (DCG) supports USC’s investigators from proposal development to award closeout, ensuring that our grants and contracts are consistent with university standards for academic freedom, research ethics and fiscal responsibility.
The Department of Contracts and Grants:
- Reviews, approves and submits proposals to extramural sponsors.
- Negotiates and accepts awards on behalf of the University.
- Executes subcontracts.
- Coordinates pre-award and post-award actions.
- Develops and maintains positive sponsor relationships.
- Ensures institutional compliance with Federal and State regulations, sponsor policy and University policy.
- Determines how agreements for research services will be processed.
A short overview of Department of Contracts & Grants.
Institute for Creative Technologies
A University Affiliated Research Center (UARC) that merges the creativity of the entertainment industry with computer science to build virtual reality training systems.
The office also coordinates research-related activities in other units of the university, including:
Office for the Protection of Research Subjects (OPRS)
Develops program-wide policies for the conduct and review of human subjects research at USC, provides education and training and oversees the Institutional Review Boards, which reviews projects involving human subjects research.
A short overview of Office for the Protection of Research Subjects.
Office of Research Integrity (ORI)
As part of the Office of Research, the mission of the Office of Research Integrity is to foster a culture of integrity within the entire USC research community. The office works on a university, school and department level to educate faculty, staff, trainees and students on the responsible conduct of research and best laboratory practices. The office:
- Offers consultation services regarding many aspects of laboratory management and research practices.
- Is available for best practice educational seminars, lectures and workshops tailored to discipline, school, department or laboratory.
- Receives and investigates allegations of research misconduct.
- Responds to all questions regarding research integrity.
A short overview of Research Integrity.
Research Technology Services
USC Stevens Center for Innovation
USC Stevens is USC’s technology transfer office, and also leads corporate research collaborations.
A short overview of USC Stevens Center for Innovation.
Washington, DC Research Advancement Office
Focused on relations with sponsoring federal agencies and foundations located in the Washington region.
A short overview of DC Office of Research Advancement.