Slots: 1 slot per year. Strong preference will be given to Institutions hiring a Chairholder from another Institution. AXA Chairs are not intended to substitute for an internal promotion.
Internal Deadline: Contact the Office of Research if interested.
LOI: September 18 – October 21, 2019
External Deadline: November 26, 2019
Budgetary Requirements: Host institutions will be expected to participate in the Chair’s general funding with studentships, post-doctoral support and material resources related to the research program. The Institution shall demonstrate this participation in the application.
Award Information: Type: Grant
Anticipated Amount: 200.000€ per year for 5 years maximum.
Submission Process: Deans must submit their application as a Limited Submission through the Office of Research Application Portal: https://app.wizehive.com/webform/USCgrants
Materials to submit:
- Single Page Proposal Summary (0.5” margins; single-spaced; font type: Arial, Helvetica, or Georgia typeface; font size: 11 pt). Page limit includes references and illustrations. Pages that exceed the 1-page limit will be excluded from review.
- CV of potential AXA Chair – (5 pages maximum)
Link(s) to Award: https://www.axa-research.org/en/page/AXA-Chairs
Who May Serve as PI:
The Chairholder is expected to be of the highest caliber, as evidenced by the standard indicators for assessing academic excellence (publications in first-rate journals, international stature and network).
The prospective Chairholder is expected to be at least PhD + 10 years minimum, to be of the highest caliber and should have demonstrated outstanding research achievements.
The AXA Chairholder is expected to spend his/her full time in the host institution, and his/her publications will be issued in the name of the host institution during the whole chair duration.
Chairholder profile criteria include:
- Academic excellence and track record • Previous achievements and innovative capabilities • Adequacy of fit between the contemplated Research Programme and the Chairholder’s expertise • International recognition of the Chairholder by his peers • Leadership skills & ability to implement the Research Programme • Given preference for candidate mobility, relevance of this mobility, (e.g alignment with the host Institution’s and laboratory research strategy, adequacy of the move with the track record of the candidate) • Personal commitment of the Chairholder to the aims of the Chair Programme.
The AXA Research Fund supports academic projects that contribute to better understand uncertainty and that provide insights into global risks, in particular in the areas of:
- Demographics, longevity and aging
- Well-being, prevention, personalized health
- Management of chronic & non- communicable diseases
- Efficiency of healthcare systems
- Infectious diseases & Epidemics
- Mental Health
- New technologies
- Robotics, automation & autonomous vehicles
- Artificial intelligence, data science & machine learning
- Cyber risk & protection
- Climate change & Climate migration
- Biodiversity & natural capital
- Sustainable resource management
- Sustainable cities
- Responsible investment strategies & sustainable finance
- Natural catastrophes
- Behavioral economics
- Social & Financial inclusion
- Financial risk modeling
- Inclusive finance
- Systemic risk and macroeconomic and societal role of insurance
Chair research programme criteria
- Criteria 1: Potential to make a step change in the considered Research field:
– Scientific originality and innovative nature of the Research Programme
– Potential to strengthen international academic networks, including planned collaborations on the Research Programme and comparison with existing initiatives in other Research centers.
- Criteria 2: Feasibility of the Research Programme
– Operational strength of the Chair Programme, notably regarding the planned methodologies
– Alignment of the Research Programme with the long-term research strategy of the Institution
– Organizational set-up to launch and support this Chair, including the size of the team and its competencies, as well as a realistic and coherent budget. The Institution is free to make an appointment at a higher cost level but must support the extra expenditure from its own funds. The host Institution could also request for other funding partners as long as the conditions of the agreement with AXA are still respected, notably regarding the publicity on the grant (see below section “Publicity on grant”).
- Criteria 3: Chair Outreach and engagement activities
– Potential impact for society and timeliness of the Research Programme, and potential outreach of Research activities, notably dissemination activities within and beyond the academic community
– Engagement with the AXA Research Fund in developing seminars and conferences to disseminate research towards practitioners.
Only research projects with relevance to this list will be considered for funding.
The research program should demonstrate its scientific originality and innovative nature.Visit our Institutionally Limited Submission webpage for updates and other announcements.