On September 16th, 2016, The The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services issued a final rule that sets forth expanded requirements for registration and results information to clinicaltrials.gov for FDA-regulated drug, biological, and device products. Simultaneously, NIH issued a complementary policy requiring registration and results information to clinicaltrials.gov for all NIH-sponsored clinical trials, regardless of whether the trial is covered by the HHS Final Rule.
Registration is required by law for:
- FDA Clinical Trials defined as intervention studies that include drugs, biological products, and medical devices;
- NIH Clinical Trials defined as biomedical and behavioral studies of human subjects;
- Publication of research studies that assigns human subjects to health-related interventions and evaluates their outcomes. Other public registries are also available to meet criteria for ICMJE and WHO; and
- Reimbursement of Medicare claims for items and services in clinical trials that are qualified for coverage.
Registration of an applicable clinical trial must be submitted no later than 21 days after enrollment of the first participant, and the data that must be reported includes
- Participant Flow
- Demographic and Baseline Characteristics
- Primary and Secondary Outcomes
- Results of any Scientifically Appropriate Statistical Tests
- Adverse Event Information
Non-compliance of these requirements may result in civil monetary penalties, withholding/recovery of federal funds, and/or withholding of publications.
Principal Investigators are responsible to register their studies prior to participant enrollment in the Protocol Registration System (PRS).
Contacts to Request a PRS User Account
For Cancer Center Studies
Phone: (323) 865-0454
For Non-Cancer Studies & All Other Requests
Jean Chan, HSC Associate Director
Phone: (323) 442-2825
- Final Rule Webinar Series (Overview of the Final Rule & Information Requirements)
- How to Submit Results Data (Overview of Each Results Module)
- Example Studies
STEPS TO REGISTER STUDY ON CLINICALTRIALS.GOV
(Click to Enlarge)