Guidelines for Adult Stroke Rehabilitation and Recovery
Carolee Winstein, professor at the USC Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy and lead author of the guidelines, helps develop the first stroke rehab guidelines endorsed by the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and the American Society of Neurorehabilitation.
Among the guidelines:
- Rehab should include intense mobility-task training for stroke patients with walking limitations.
- Stroke survivors should be given individually tailored exercise programs to improve their cardiovascular fitness after rehabilitation.
- Patients should be provided intellectually stimulating environments, with access to computers, books, music, etc.
- Patients with impaired speech should be offered speech therapy.
- Eye exercises should be given to patients with impaired eye coordination and focus.
- Stroke survivors with balance issues should be provided a balance training program.
Here is the USC News story.