NSF-20-569: Inclusion across the Nation of Communities of Learners of Underrepresented Discoverers in Engineering and Science (NSF INCLUDES)
Internal Deadline: Contact the Office of Research if interested.
LOI: October 5, 2020
External Deadline: January 26, 2021
Award Information: Type: Cooperative Agreement
Estimated Number of Awards: 1 – 3
Anticipated Amount: $2,000,000 to $3,000,000
Process for Limited Submissions: PIs must submit their application as a Limited Submission through the Office of Research Application Portal: https://research.usc.edu/usc-grants/.
Materials to submit include:
(1) Single Page Proposal Summary (0.5” margins; single-spaced; font type: Arial, Helvetica, or Georgia typeface; font size: 11 pt). Page limit includes references and illustrations. Pages that exceed the 1-page limit will be excluded from review.
(2) CV of prospective Chair candidate – (5 pages maximum)
Who May Serve as PI: There are no eligibility restrictions or limits. An individual may serve as a PI or Co-PI on only one NSF INCLUDES Alliance proposal.
Purpose: The vision of the NSF INCLUDES Big Idea is to catalyze the STEM enterprise to work collaboratively for inclusive change, resulting in a STEM workforce that reflects the population of the Nation. More specifically, NSF INCLUDES seeks to broaden participation in STEM fields through a National Network that will inspire collaborative efforts aimed at increasing the active participation of those who have been historically underrepresented and underserved in STEM.
The NSF INCLUDES National Network is composed of NSF INCLUDES Alliances, Design and Development Launch Pilots, Coordination Hub, NSF funded projects (such as centers, facilities and networks, and other projects with broadening participation components), scholars engaged in broadening participation research, Federal Coordination in STEM (FC-STEM) agencies, and organizations that support the goals of NSF INCLUDES.
With this solicitation, NSF continues to invest in the important work of the NSF INCLUDES Big Idea and invites proposals for NSF INCLUDES Alliances.
NSF INCLUDES Alliances build the infrastructure necessary to foster collaboration and broaden participation in STEM by emphasizing the following five design elements of collaborative infrastructure: (1) Shared Vision, (2) Partnerships, (3) Goals and Metrics, (4) Leadership and Communication, and (5) The Potential for Expansion, Sustainability and Scale.
The five design elements of collaborative infrastructure are critical for each NSF INCLUDES Alliance and require Alliances to:
- Develop a shared vision and strategy (e.g., problem statement and theory of change) for broadening the participation of the target population(s) in STEM along with relevant metrics of success and key milestones/goals to be achieved during the project’s lifecycle;
- Develop multi-stakeholder partnerships and build infrastructure among them to decrease social distance and achieve progress on common goals targeted by the Alliance;
- Contribute to the knowledge base on broadening participation in STEM through broadening participation and implementation research, sharing project evaluations, data, new scientific findings/discoveries, and promising practices;
- Establish a “backbone” or support organization that provides a framework for communication and networking, network assistance and reinforcement, visibility and expansion of the Alliance and its partners, that will collaborate with the NSF INCLUDES Coordination Hub;
- Advance a logic model or other heuristic that identifies Alliance outcomes that reflect implementation of change at scale and progress toward developing an inclusive STEM enterprise.
Collectively, NSF INCLUDES Alliances:
- Participate in a network of peer alliances to achieve long-term goals of the NSF INCLUDES Big Idea;
- Collaborate with the NSF INCLUDES Coordination Hub to build critical knowledge that shows measurable progress toward short-term and longterm goals; and
- Work to build connections to other organizations and broadening participation stakeholders to join in and expand the NSF National Network.
Budgetary Requirements: Inclusion of voluntary committed cost sharing is prohibited.
Visit our Institutionally Limited Submission webpage for more updates and other announcements.