PAR-19-128: Biomedical Research Facilities (C06 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
Internal Deadline: Contact the Office of Research if interested.
LOI: February 1, 2019
External Deadline: March 4, 2019, 5pm PT
Award Information: Type: Grant
Estimated Number of Awards: 8-15
Anticipated Amount: $3,000,000 minimum to $8,000,000 maximum. Applications with a budget less than $3,000,000 will not be considered.
Submission Process: PIs must submit their application as a Limited Submission through the Office of Research Application Portal: https://app.wizehive.com/webform/USCgrants
Materials to submit:
- Single Page Proposal Summary (0.5” margins; single-spaced; font type: Arial, Helvetica, or Georgia typeface; font size: 11 pt). Page limit includes references and illustrations. Pages that exceed the 1-page limit will be excluded from review.
- CV – (5 pages maximum)
Link to Award: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PAR-19-128.html
Who May Serve as PI:
To appropriately conceive, develop, construct, and successfully complete the project, a Program Director/Principal Investigator (PD/PI) should possess knowledge of the relevant scientific field, have a vested professional interest in the success of the project, demonstrate leadership skills, and assemble a team with technical expertise related to all aspects of the project. The PD/PI does not need to be a currently NIH-funded investigator but should have the appropriate standing in the institutional administration and the research community to lead and oversee the project.
The objective of this FOA is to support the development of modern facilities that will enable and enhance the conduct of cutting-edge biomedical research. Any facility supported by this FOA must serve a broad research community, locally at the applicant institution or regionally.
Requests for regular maintenance, replacement of aging or failing equipment, and other routine work are not appropriate for this FOA, and such requests will not be supported. Inappropriate are requests for upgrades of a space serving a single investigator. Also, equally inappropriate are requests to support facilities for billable medical care, office space, or classrooms.
Applicants may request funds for costs of design and implementation of the project. Specifically, the allowable costs include the architectural and engineering design fees, contingency fees, construction and fixed equipment costs, and commissioning costs of the facility – compare the Funding Restrictions section for further details of allowable and non-allowable costs. Applicants are encouraged to follow sustainable design principles and to use green technologies.
The project should be consistent with the following criteria and documentation requirements:
- The project is essential for research activities supported and the space involved will be used for these activities.
- The building must have a useful life consistent with program purposes, including the time to construct and complete the project plus 20 years of use following the occupancy of the research space; the building must be architecturally and structurally suitable for conversion to the type of research space required.
- If the space is rented, evidence must be provided that the terms of the lease and expected subsequent 20-year use of the facility are consistent with the proposed project. Specifically, a signed document from the building owner must be provided that the terms of the lease agreement and subsequent use of the facility will comply with the 20-year term of the Notice of Federal Interest (NFI) requirement following the occupancy of the facility. A statement of agreement by the owner of the space must be included. These documents will be verified if/when the application is considered for funding.
- If the project will affect a site listed (or eligible for inclusion) in the National Register of Historic Places, the requirements specified in “Preservation of Cultural and Historic Resources” must be followed.
Visit our Institutionally Limited Submission webpage for updates and other announcements.