University of Southern California


How to Process a Gift vs. a Grant

Proposals that will result in gift funding should be coordinated with the Development Office. Proposals that request funding through gift solicitations, including non-programmatic foundations, corporations, or individuals, should be processed through the Development Office, which may be contacted at (213) 740-1216. Proposals that will result in grants, contracts, or cooperative agreements should be reviewed and approved by the Department of Contracts and Grants. The distinction between gifts and grants is sometimes unclear. If any one of the following conditions appears in an award, the award is generally considered a grant or contract, rather than a gift.