RFA-DK-17-005: George M. O’Brien Kidney Research Core Centers (P30)
Internal Deadline: Contact the Office of Research if interested.
LOI: October 1, 2017
External Deadline: November 1, 2017, 5pm PDT
Award Information: Type: Grant
Estimated Number of Awards: 4
Anticipated Amount: $750,000 in direct costs per year.
Submission Process: PIs must submit their application as a Limited Submission through the Office of Research Application Portal: https://app.wizehive.com/webform/USCgrants
Materials to submit:
- Single Page Proposal Summary (0.5” margins; single-spaced; font type: Arial, Helvetica, or Georgia typeface; font size: 11 pt). Page limit includes references and illustrations. Pages that exceed the 1-page limit will be excluded from review.
- CV – (5 pages maximum)
Who May Serve as PI: Standard NIH eligibility requirements.
The goal of the O’Brien Centers is to provide unique resources for communication and collaboration between basic and clinical researchers in the field of kidney disease. Research with clear translational potential, as described above, is strongly encouraged, as is clinical research. O’Brien Centers will provide shared resources to enhance the efficiency of research and foster collaborations within and among institutions with strong existing bases of kidney disease research. O’Brien Centers may be located in a single institution or in multiple institutions with complementary research bases.
Below are some excerpts from the solicitation regarding project organization:
Institution and Research Base
An O’Brien Center must be an identifiable unit within a single institution such as a university medical center, or within a consortium of cooperating institutions. In either case, O’Brien Center applications must be associated with an existing program of excellence in biomedical research in kidney disease. A high level of integration and close collaboration among Center personnel from diverse scientific disciplines is an important feature of a successful O’Brien Center. The O’Brien Center program should make state-of-the art technologies and resources readily accessible to a broad spectrum of investigators who are pursuing studies in relevant topic areas.
Biomedical Research Cores.
Examples of types of Biomedical Core resources that would be considered responsive to this Funding Opportunity Announcement include, but are not limited to:
- Collection, analysis, storage and distribution of data and samples;
- Provision of specialized tools and technologies or access to specialized expertise;
- Development, standardization and distribution of reagents and/or protocols;
- Provision of technical assistance, training, and enrichment programs;
- Recruitment of patients and coordination of patient studies;
- Development, beta-testing and dissemination of specialty assays, methods, and services on an institutional level;
- Increasing interdisciplinary interactions at the institution through cross-project/laboratory exchange;
- Sharing of specialized tools, technologies and expertise between collaborating investigators.
In addition to Biomedical Cores, Centers must include an Administrative Core which will be responsible for allocation of resources within the Center and distribution of resources to Center participants. All O’Brien Kidney Research Core Centers are required to maintain a Center website, with the Administrative Core taking primary responsibility for its curation and oversight.
Pilot and Feasibility (P and F) Program
A Pilot and Feasibility project is intended to provide modest support that will allow an investigator the opportunity to develop sufficient preliminary data as a basis for an application for independent research support.
An Enrichment Program may provide support for visiting scientists, seminars, and research forums. Students, fellows, and junior faculty are encouraged to participate in Center-sponsored seminars, courses, workshops, and symposia. Enrichment Program-sponsored mini-sabbaticals, or other instructional opportunities also are supported under such programs.
Visit our Institutionally Limited Submission webpage for updates and other announcements.