Steps for Setting Up an Award
The sponsoring agency typically notifies DCG or the principal investigator of its intent to make an award to USC for proposed work. Often advance notice is provided via a “just in time” request for updated or additional information. At this time, the sponsor can request changes in the work plan or budget.
1. Once you have been notified of an award, work with the research administrator in your school, department or center to prepare any requested information as quickly as possible.
- If the sponsor reduces your budget, you should consider its impact on your ability to complete the proposed scope of work. Modifications to your scope of work and/or cost sharing may be necessary.
- If the sponsor significantly modifies your scope of work, you should consider its impact on your budget and make any necessary adjustments.
- Any significant changes to your proposal, including the budget, require approval from your school.
2. You may also need to complete all regulatory reviews prior to award. If you have not already done so, be sure to submit all needed protocols for review and approval.
3. Once all modifications are complete, DCG will submit your revised proposal along with any accompanying materials to the sponsor.
Once an award is received or fully executed, DCG will establish or modify the award. To expedite the processing of the award, your research administrator should submit the following documents to DCG as quickly as possible.
Budget Identifying Object Codes
- If satellites will be established (as should be done for multi-school awards), a master budget and individual satellite budget(s) are needed. The master budget should represent the total awarded budget and include the satellites budget(s).
- For effort reporting, PI and key personnel effort must be identified and be consistent with the awarded proposal and budget.
Signed PI Acceptance Memo
- If non-standard terms and conditions were accepted, a memo detailing the terms and obligations will be sent to the PI to document his/her approval. This signed memo needs to be received prior to establishing or modifying an account.
Verification of Regulatory Approval(s)
- If IRB, IACUC or other regulatory approvals are pending, DCG will establish the account but place a restriction on the award. The restriction will be removed upon receipt of approvals.
- If CIRC approval(s) are pending, DCG will not establish or modify an account until approval(s) are secured.
Awards with the above documents will receive priority treatment.