Office of Research & Innovation (OORI) at USC
The mission of the Office of Research & Innovation at the University of Southern California is to nurture and promote ethical and rigorous research, scholarship, creativity, and innovation to benefit society.
Alfred E. Mann Institute
USC AMI bridges the gap between biomedical innovation and the creation of commercially successful medical products to improve and save lives.
Department of Animal Resources
DAR provides animal procurement, daily animal care, animal health care, and scientific support for USC programs using animals in research and teaching.
Department of Contracts and Grants
DCG supports the research administration process, ensuring it’s consistent with university standards for academic freedom, research ethics, and fiscal responsibility.
Human Research Protection Program
HRPP develops program-wide policies for the conduct and review of human subjects research at USC, provides education and training, and oversees the Institutional Review Boards (IRB).
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
IACUC oversees USC’s animal programs, animal facilities, and policies ensuring appropriate care, ethical use and humane treatment of animals.
Research Initiatives and Infrastructure
RII supports investigators through internal funding programs, limited submissions, shared resources, as well as faculty training via the Center for Excellence in Research.
ORI fosters a culture of integrity within the entire USC research community by educating investigators about responsible conduct in research and laboratory practices.
Research Strategy and Development
RSD works with faculty and teams on developing large-scale and interdisciplinary research proposals and informing researchers about federally-funded research programs.
Research Technology Services
RTS maintains and supports diSClose (for managing conflicts of interest) and iStar (for research with human subjects, animals, and biohazardous and radioactive substances).
Stevens Center for Innovation
USC Stevens is USC’s technology transfer office and also licenses discoveries, promotes entrepreneurship, stimulates innovation and leads corporate research collaborations.
Research and Scholarship
Find resources for managing scholarly inquiry, including guidelines and policies, a list of centers and institutes, available shared resources, funding opportunities, research training, and COVID-19 research continuity resources.
Research Happening Across USC
- Inspiring words, performances and competitive games of double Dutch highlight Black History Month ‘Family Reunion’The closing event for Black History Month at USC draws more than 2,000 attendees to Founders Park.
- The titles recognize faculty members who are leaders in their research fields.
- A USC researcher hopes a long-term study of a 2021 oil spill will help guide decisions about how to repair affected ecosystems.
- USC scientists conducted one of the largest-ever multiethnic studies of smoking and epigenetics. It could lead to better ways of predicting risk of smoking-related disease.
Find resources for research administration, including information on key financial concepts, guides through the proposal and award lifecycle, grants management tools, and how to maintain research compliance.
- Monthly Update – January 2024Dear Colleagues, Two years ago, in 2022, USC researchers surpassed $1 billion in research spending. Thank you for continuing this momentum by addressing the compelling and complex challenges we face. In this month’s update, you…
- Office of Research & Innovation names new executive director for USC Stevens CenterErin Overstreet has been selected as the new executive director of the USC Stevens Center for Innovation where she will oversee the university’s commercialization of USC-driven intellectual property. Overstreet’s expertise…
- Monthly Update – December 2023Dear Colleagues, As the year ends, please know that I am deeply grateful for your commitment to excellence, transformative research and accomplishments. The Office of Research and Innovation team looks…